Today’s amazing dessert is brought to you by chickpeas. It’s an amazing sweet dish to celebrate your festivals and special occasions. Chickpea halwa is an Indian dessert made of chickpeas, ghee, jaggery, milk, cardamom and nuts. It is soft, aromatic and easy to make.“Halwa” is a traditional sweet dish made in India and many other countries. Word Halwa is being used in multiple languages including Arabic, Turkish, Bangla etc. Halwa comes from the Arabic word ‘hulw’, which literally means sweet or sweet dish. Let’s see how to make this Chickpea Halwa recipe.!!
- 1 cup chickpeas soaked overnight
- 3/4 cup jaggery
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tsp cardamom powder
- Pinch of salt
- 4 tbsp ghee
- 1/2 cup thin coconut milk
- 1/4 cup thick coconut milk
- 1/4 cup cashew nuts
- 1 /4 cup almond
- 2 tbsp dates chopped
- Soak the chickpeas in 2-3 cups of water overnight.
- Pressure cook the chickpeas for 10-15 minutes or until soft and completely cooked.
- Drain and allow it to cool. Remove the skin.
- Now mash the chickpeas with a masher.
- Heat a saucepan with water and jaggery. Boil until it gets dissolved. Switch off the flame. Strain the mixture. Set aside.
- Heat ghee in a non-stick pan and add green cardamom.
- Add mashed chickpeas and saute, stirring continuously, over low flame till it becomes golden brown.
- Add jaggery mixture and thin coconut milk. Mix well and cook on low flame, stirring continuously till all the moisture has been absorbed. Taste and adjust sweetness if more is needed. Add a pinch of salt to enhance the sweetness.
- Add thick coconut milk and continue cooking for five minutes till you get a halwa consistency,
- Heat a pan with ghee and add cashew, almonds and dates. Roast them until golden colour.
- Add dry fruits into the halwa, mix well and serve hot.