Basbousa is a traditional Middle Eastern sweet cake that originated in Egypt, although it is also popular in other countries. Authentic Egyptian Basbousa recipe that is soft and stays soft.
Another beauty of this cake is sugar syrup. Once the semolina cake is prepared, the sugar syrup is poured over the cake, making it more delicious. The cake soaks up the syrup and makes it very moist.
Learn how to make this Besbousa recipe and surprise your friends and family with this delectable homemade dessert.
- 2 cups coarse semolina
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup desiccated coconut
- 1/2 cup butter melted
- 1 cup plain yoghurt
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 2 eggs lightly beaten
- 2 tsp vanilla essence
- 1/2 cup almonds blanched and peeled
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp saffron essence or cardamom flavour
- In a large bowl, mix the semolina, flour, baking powder, sugar and coconut.
- In a small bowl, mix the liquid ingredients, yoghurt, melted butter, eggs and vanilla.
- Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and then gradually add the liquid ingredients while mixing with a spatula or wooden spoon to form a thick batter.
- Pour and level out the batter in a greased 11×7 inch pan and lightly score the top with diamond or square-shaped cuts.
- Press a whole almond in the middle of each square or diamond.
- Then cover and set the pan aside for half an hour. This helps the semolina to absorb the liquids. In the meantime, preheat the oven at 180 C.
- Side by side prepares the sugar syrup.
- Combine the water, sugar and lemon juice in a small pan and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and gently simmer for about 5-8 minutes.
- Then turn off the heat, stir in the cardamom flavour/saffron essence or vanilla essence and set the syrup aside to cool down.
- Uncover the pan and bake in the preheated oven for 40 minutes.
- Then remove from the oven and carefully cut through the marks you had made earlier.
- Pour the cooled syrup as evenly as possible all over the hot Basbousa.
- Then place the pan back in the oven and bake for an additional 5 minutes. Remove and let it rest for at least 30 minutes.
- It's ready to be served.